RULE 5: Get A Roadie!
QUOTE OF THE WEEK
As one of the world’s most respected musicians, Zoro has sat on the drummer’s throne commanding some of the most famous stages in the world of rock and R&B music. Z has toured and recorded with Lenny Kravitz; Bobby Brown; Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons; The New Edition; Jody Watley; Philip Bailey of Earth, Wind & Fire; Sean Lennon; Lisa Marie Presley; Lincoln Brewster; Phil Keaggy and many others.
When I received a video from Zoro, I basically freaked out... Not only was it so cool that one of my drumming heroes wanted to contribute to this project, but he even gave me plenty of options to choose from, which you’ll see all of in today’s video. Zoro is an incredible drummer, author of one of my favorite books (The Big Gig), and such a positive human being. Thank you Zoro!
YOUR ACTION STEPS THIS WEEK:
1) READ ZORO'S BOOK - I HIGHLY recommend reading Zoro's book "The Big Gig: Big-Picture Thinking for Success".
This book is not just a must-read for drummers, but anyone looking for real-world advice about how to succeed in the music business BEYOND just being a great musician.
2) TAKE ZORO's BIG GIG QUIZ - Take 5 minutes this morning/evening and complete Zoro's BIG GIG QUIZ (below). I promise that doing so will prove to be very revealing. The quiz is taken straight from the book and is a excellent way to add CLARITY to your goals in life, recognize the areas in which you excel, and assess any areas where you can improve. I personally try to revisit Zoro's quiz every few months to see where I'm making progress and where I'm falling short. *If you aren't a musician, change the questions so that they fit whatever your career is.
3) TALLY YOUR NUMBERS - For any questions where you answer YES, give yourself one point. Add up your numbers for each section.
4) CREATE NEW GOALS - For each section, look at your points to determine where your weakest area lies. Make specific goals for how you will work on this problem area and give yourself a deadline! (Example Goal: "For my next 5 gigs, I not be late. I will allow myself enough travel time so that I can arrive 1 hour before the downbeat", etc.)
ZORO'S BIG GIG QUIZ
- Do you consider yourself musically gifted?
- Do you have an overall vision for your career?
- Have you set short-range goals for your career?
- Have you set long-range goals for your career?
- Have you defined the objective of your musical career?
- Do you have someone to keep you accountable for your goals?
- Do you believe it’s possible for your dreams to come true against all odds?
- Do you study your instrument regularly via method books, the Internet, or instructional DVDs?
- Are you taking private lessons with a master to develop your talent and improve on your instrument?
- Do you regularly read music industry magazines or publications that pertain to your instrument?
- Do you regularly read books about the music business or musicians?
- Do you regularly read motivational books that inspire you to pursue your dreams?
- Do you have a mentor within the music industry?
- Do you practice your instrument for long periods of time on a daily basis?
- Are you constantly immersed in listening to and analyzing music?
- Do you know all standard songs for the genre of music you wish to succeed at playing?
- Are you studying all the greats who defined the genre of music you wish you master?
- Is the majority of your extra money invested in the pursuit of your musical dreams, such as studying your instrument, purchasing musical equipment, music CDs and downloads, and books?
- Are you extremely proficient on your instrument?
- Can you adapt quickly when musical changes are made in an arrangement?
- Are you an excellent sight-reader?
- Are you an extremely versatile musician?
- Do you come prepared for each gig or opportunity?
- Do you know how to contribute to the musical success of others, and do you enjoy doing so?
- Do you believe your musical skills are highly marketable?
- Do you have a strong work ethic?
- Would you say you are a flexible person?
- Do you consider yourself an optimistic person?
- Are you a reliable person on whom others can always depend?
- Are you punctual?
- Are you a humble person?
- Do you have a good attitude?
- Do you take criticism well?
- Can you work effectively with differing or abrasive personalities?
- Do you take instruction well?
- Do you deal well with competition?
- Do you handle rejection well?
- Do you do well with unpredictable schedules?
- Do you mind having someone else dictate how you spend your time?
- Are you living free from drug and alcohol overuse or addiction?
- Do you consider yourself a determined, focused, and ambitious person?
- Do you have excellent-sounding equipment?
- Do you have reliable transportation?
- Are you willing to live in or near one of the major music market cities of Los Angeles, New York, Nashville, Atlanta, Chicago, or Miami to increase your chances of landing the big gig?
- Are you are a good money manager?
- Do you know how to market and promote yourself at each subsequent stage of your career?
- Are you routinely building a network of contacts within the music industry?
- Do you know how to capitalize on current situations to advance your career?
- Are you willing to learn how to be your own manager to ensure your success as a musician?
- Are you willing to do everything necessary to make it in the music business?
If you answered “no” to any of the above questions, The Big Gig can help you become better prepared to advance your goals and live a better life. Take the next step now to prepare for YOUR Big Gig.
HAVE A GREAT WEEK!
Did you enjoy this article? If so, please share this with the ONE person in your life who could benefit from it and suggest they sign up for the weekly dose!